Delfoi Planner benefits Valmet
Productivity with APS/MES solution
Valmet Corp chose the production planning system Delfoi Planner as their APS/MES solution worldwide. The solution is used in the Paper, Power and Service business units in 14 plants in the US, Asia and Europe.
The requirements for production planning and control are particularly high because changes have an immediate and severe impact, and the production batches are very small. Planning includes both new projects and spare parts.
Delfoi Planner makes it possible to follow the production management and planning in real time. The system is flexible, adaptable and based on visualization which makes it easy to use and adapt. Valmet uses the Delfoi Planner solution that includes planning (APS) and managing (MES) in the same system. It was integrated bi-directional with the BaaN ERP. All the tasks were planned and checked in Delfoi Planner.
Investment in production planning and management system generates productivity growth
Tapio Viitanen, General Manager at Valmet Technologies Oy, reports on the achieved benefits at a seminar at the Alihankinta industry fair 2015:
- Lead time for core products was 33% faster
- Capacity grew by 20 %
- Production planning time decreased from five to two weeks
- Recovery time from disruptions decreased from five days to one day
Production transparency improved, the rate of change increased and at the same time the overall management improved. The digitalization of production planning and management especially expedited the testing of alternatives and changes in practices also for the future. Automation decreased manual labor and enabled Valmet to direct resources towards more productive activities.
Delfoi Planner 4.0 functionalities at Valmet are
- Finite capacity scheduling of production and maintenance (APS)
- Status and project management
- Workforce calendar scheduling
- Digital production work orders and progress monitoring (MES)
- Transparency and scheduling between different production units
- Bi-directional integration with BaaN system
- Multi-instance support within Valmet’s internal cloud
- User-specific language versions, views and rights
Valmet is the leading global developer and supplier of technologies, automation and services for the pulp, paper and energy industries. Valmet’s services cover everything from maintenance outsourcing to mill and plant improvements and spare parts. The strong technology offering includes pulp mills, tissue, board and paper production lines, as well as power plants for bio-energy production. Valmet’s advanced automation solutions range from single measurements to mill wide turnkey automation projects. In 2016 Valmet’s net sales were approximately EUR 2.9 billion, and the company employs around 12 000 professionals worldwide.